Seven members of a family have died after consuming barbecue and juice at a community in Umuahia, capital of Abia.
The incident happened in Umueze Umuakanu in Umuahia North Local Government Area of the state.
According to reports, all the family members, including extended family who came for holidays ate the barbecue which the Father of the house, identified as Mr. Jessey, bought.
They were said to have started throwing up after eating the meat suspected to have been poisoned
The two surviving family members are currently receiving treatment at Federal Medical Centre(FMC), Umuahia, while the deceased have been deposited in the morgue
Meanwhile, Abia State Government said it has received a report on the sad incident.
In a statement made by the Commissioner for information and Strategy, Chief John Okiyi Kalu, said Governor Okezie Ikpeazu had directed authorities of the hospital where the surviving family members were treated and discharged to ensure a comprehensive autopsy for those who lost their lives.
The government also called on citizens and residents to maintain vigilance and remain law abiding.