Three herdsmen have been reportedly killed in different locations across Zangon Kataf and neighbouring Kauru Local Government Area in the southern part of Kaduna State, Daily Trust gathered.
The Chairman of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association, Southern Kaduna Chapter, Alhaji Abdulhamid Musa Albarka, told our reporter that one herdsman, Yusuf Mamuda, 16, was found dead on Sunday at Zaman Dabo District in Atyap Chiefdom in Zango Kataf, with his head cut off and taken away by the assailants.
- Security operatives kill, dislodge ISWAP fighters in Niger
- Gov’ship primaries: IGP deploys more policemen in Ekiti
He said another man in company with his brother was killed in Atyap when he stopped to buy petroleum for his motorcycle.
Albarka said another herdsman, Amadu Surubu, was killed when some armed youth attacked Bakin Kogi Market in Kauru Local Government Area on Monday while eight cows were allegedly poisoned in Fadama Area in the local government.
Also speaking, the youth leader of the Atyap Chiefdom, Gabriel Joseph, said attackers invaded Kurmin Masara in the chiefdom on January 11 and killed three people as well as burnt one house and a police vehicle.
However, the state Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, in a statement yesterday confirmed that one person was killed and two others injured in the communal clash.
He said there had been tension in the area since the assailants beheaded the herder and took his head with them as the other herders grazing in the area managed to escape with their animals.
The statement said, “Subsequently, an inter-ethnic communal clash erupted during peak market hours in Bakin Kogi Market of Kauru LGA located near its boundaries with Zangon Kataf LGA.
“One Ahmad Aliyu was killed in the violent attack, while two residents, Esther Thomas and Tanko Dakar, were injured and a vehicle was burnt. The situation was brought under control by troops of Operation Safe Haven who then escorted buyers and sellers to safety.”
The state government appealed to residents who lost their relations and loved ones to allow security forces and government to manage the situation as investigations had started.
“Governor Nasir El-Rufa’i expressed his sadness at the reports and sorely lamented the eruption of violent attacks and clashes in the general area. He expressed deep concern that despite the efforts and hard work of the government, security forces and other critical stakeholders to ensure the gradual return of peace, the killings had caused a setback which must not be allowed to gain ground,” the statement added.