Three members of the same family in Kwara State have died of food poisoning.
The victims were said to have lost their lives after consuming Amala, a local staple in Ilorin East Local Government Area.
- Sallah: Rams everywhere, no money to buy
- Touching story of how a Kano bride turned widow 48 hours after wedding
Five siblings reportedly took the meal. They were all taken to the children’s hospital in Centre Igboro but three of them died.
This is coming just about a month after two similar incidents of suspected food poisoning in Baruteen and Kaiama communities of Kwara North.
17 people lost their lives in the incident.
When contacted, the spokesperson of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), Babawale Zaid Afolabi, said he was not aware of the incident.
But the Kwara State Disease Surveillance Notification Officer (DSNO), Alhaji Muhammad Abdullahi, confirmed the incident, adding that the two survivors have been discharged.
He said: “When we got to the place, their father told us that five of his children ate the Amala meal but three later started vomiting before they were rushed to the Children Specialist Hospital, Ilorin.
“He said while they were battling to save the lives, another one was rushed to another hospital but the first three died.
“Their father, who is a farmer, told us he produced the yam flour (Elubo) himself and cannot say what really happened,” he added.
The DSNO said the remaining two children are doing well “when we saw them yesterday (Tuesday)”.